Thursday, January 7, 2010

Week 1 ~ The Sophia Quilt

My friend Suzanne is one of the first people I ever knew who cross-stitched. I never really thought about it until I was walking in a Michael's store (um I just noticed they're having an up-to-80% off winter clearance event?!?!). I happened to wander into the quilt isle. The cross-stitching quilt isle. I had never known anyone who cross-stitched quilts before, but how hard could it be?

With my second neice on the way, I took on a project that I call ~The Sophia Quilt~. This project has nearly taken over my life at times, and then has nearly been forgotten at other times. It has taken 2.5 years to get this far:



A little bit of detail shown below: The light blue marks are the stitching guides. These will wash off when I'm done. It's actually starting to smudge so I'd better work fast!



This is what the finished product is expected to look like:



The funny thing is that I started working on the project while my sister was pregnant & thought it would be ready by Sophia's birth, but instead she just had her second birthday with no quilt on hand. It's ok, it'll be an heirloom. Generations down the road, people will look at great-great aunt Michelle's handiwork, drawn from her blood, sweat & tears..ok maybe I'm going too far but our ancestors walked to school up-hill both ways in the dead of winter for 100 miles in no shoes right? :)

So every Thursday I will update my quilt status & by the end of 2010 it will be done! Then I can start on ~The Emily Quilt~ (It doesn't even exist yet).

P.S. ~ I somehow landed upon an old blog of mine that I forgot ever existed & it has a post about The Sophia Quilt!! Checky outy! What do I do with the old blog now?

No comments:

Post a Comment